National statistics are often several years behind but here are a few quick references.
- Nearly three out of four prescription drug overdoses are caused by prescription painkillers (cdc.gov)
- Americans, constituting only 5% of the world's population, consume 80% of the global supply of opioids, and 99% of the global supply of hydrocodone (Vicodin) (painphysicaljournal.com)
- 1 in 5 teens say they have taken a prescription drug without having a prescription for it themselves (drugfree.org)
- Over 70 percent of people who abused prescription pain relievers got them from friends or relatives (oas.samhsa.gov )
- In 2007, 9.4 billion dosage units of prescription drugs were written by doctors in the United States (fda.gov)
- 90% of patients on narcotics for three months stay on them (rationalpaincare.com)
- Prescription drugs are the second-most abused category of drugs in the United States, following marijuana (samhsa.gov )
- According to a 2008 Department of Defense survey, about one in nine active-duty service members reported past-month prescription drug misuse.